Object and texture library

Andreas Zehender kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 17:42:28 +0100

Hi Luis!

Some feedback to the object and texture library (through the mailing list
because of the list archive)

I hacked together a form with the qt designer
(see http://www.kpovmodeler.org/tmp/objectlibraryform.png).
I think that would be a good layout for the dialog.

Some suggestions:

- The list should be a QIconView showing all objects of one library with the
rendered preview as icon (like a light table in a photo studio, one of the
ideas I got from the image browser I mentioned).

- If you select an item, its description and keywords are displayed right as
well as the object hierarchy in the tree view. I think the existing tree view
can be extended to be useable without a part. All drag and drop functionality
would be implemented already. One could then drag only parts of the stored
object or texture into the scene.

- Libraries should be opened and closed inside the browser, not in the
settings dialog. Especially two library paths (in the povray page and the
object library page) are irritating to the user. Maybe we have to rename the
povray library path in the povray page. Some users sent me mails because they
found no way to open the povray includes although they added the povray
include directory to the library paths.
I added tool buttons in the form. These should be included in a toolbar. A
KToolbar can be used without a main window although mentioned otherwise in
the documentation. The KDE file dialog uses one, too.

- Do you want to create a library archive for each object and texture? I would
create one zipped tar for a library. An object is saved inside the archive
unique number inside the library.

- Objects should be editable inplace in the object browser, maybe with an edit
and browse mode.
An image drag onto the icon list sets the preview, a kpm object drag onto the
tree view sets the data. I will extend the povray render widgets to allow the
user to drag the rendered image around (in the povray render widget and the
texture preview). I implemented something similar for my master thesis.

- Your objects are restricted to one declaration at the moment (correct me if
I'm wrong). We should extend this to multiple objects of any kind. Especially
complect objects consist allways of multiple declarations.

I have no concrete ideas for search results. Maybe they could be displayed in
a kind of virtual object library, selectable in the combo box.

So far my ideas.
Any comments are welcome.

Greetings, Andreas

 Andreas Zehender, Dipl. Ing. (BA)