Want to contribute

Andreas Zehender kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 07:06:44 +0100

Hi!

On Monday 03 February 2003 22:47, Luis Carvalho wrote:
> How hard would it be to make a plugin be able to add a collection of
> objects?

Well that's easy. The plugin only has to add prototypes to the
PMPrototypeManager and register the xml file with the insertion rules. That's
all.

> One nice thing for later would be to make incremental io plugins. I mean,
> instead of saying this is the io plugin for povray, we would say, this is
> the io plugin for povray that works with blob, box, sphere, etc...
>
> This way the same developer from before implements new objects in his
> plugins and also io formats for those systems he understands. Then, another
> developer could develop an additional plugin for IO of "advanced
> gizmo-with-lots-of-complexity" for "my ultimate(TM) renderer". What do you
> think? Am I making this too complex?

No, this is not too complex, I think we need this kind of export framework.
The biggest problem with export formats is that new objects inside a plugin
and export plugins don't know each other. I have to solve that somehow...

> PS: Lately I've talked a lot and haven't put a lot of code in the project,
> but I assure you, this is a temporary situation. I just have to get my life
> organized again and will be back to coding in strength.

Same with me. As you know I moved from Ulm to Munich and started to work. I,
too, have to organize my life first.

It would be great if someone could take over some parts of the project,
especially the web design. Jeremie?

At the moment I am making a source package for KDE 3.x. I hope not everybody
has already upgraded KDE to version 3.1 to test the package.

> PPS: Drag'n'drop in the treeviews is a pain... *sigh*

Is it? What exactly?

Andreas
 Andreas Zehender
 Master of Computer Science, Dipl. Ing. (BA)
 http://www.azweb.de
 az@azweb.de | zehender@kde.org