Want to contribute

Luis Carvalho kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 21:47:59 +0000

On Monday 03 February 2003 20:22, Andreas Zehender wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Hmmm, maybe you are right.
> But which objects and textures are common? Not every renderer has a blob
> object. Every renderer has a solid color texture, but not a color map. We
> can't add one plugin for each object.

How hard would it be to make a plugin be able to add a collection of objects?

It would be useful in the case of complex include files for lots of
functionalities. The developer would just make a plugin that adds several
objects specialized for different parts of the include.

> > Could you please share with us what services a plugin must implement?
>
> A plugin can, not has to implement services.
> A plugin can add:
> - menu items and toolbar icons (implemented)
> - new kind of objects (implemented)
> - new kind of views (already implemented)
> - new io formats (TODO)
> - new renderers (TODO)

One nice thing for later would be to make incremental io plugins. I mean,
instead of saying this is the io plugin for povray, we would say, this is the
io plugin for povray that works with blob, box, sphere, etc...

This way the same developer from before implements new objects in his plugins
and also io formats for those systems he understands. Then, another developer
could develop an additional plugin for IO of "advanced
gizmo-with-lots-of-complexity" for "my ultimate(TM) renderer". What do you
think? Am I making this too complex?

Regards,
Luis

PS: Lately I've talked a lot and haven't put a lot of code in the project, but
I assure you, this is a temporary situation. I just have to get my life
organized again and will be back to coding in strength.

PPS: Drag'n'drop in the treeviews is a pain... *sigh*