The qt3/kde3 port

Andreas Zehender kpovmodeler-devel@mail.kde.org
Fri, 29 Mar 2002 13:53:09 +0100

Hi Luis!

On Friday 29 March 2002 00:26, Luis Passos Carvalho wrote:
> Hi Andreas!
>
> I can commit my changes, but they are not complete.
> Implementing the ImageMap was harder than I initially anticipated.
>
> I think the commit won't break anything but I'm not sure. I won't mind
> if you commit your changes and I have to take care of conflicts with my
> own changes. Just mail me what I should be careful about and I'll take
> care of it.

Well, my changes will break everything for kde2/qt2. You will not be able
to compile and use it before installing kde3.

> I will commit if you prefer, but I didn't look if I was breaking
> anything else yet, though the changes are small.

There should be no big conflicts. You can wait to commit until you
finished your changes. I didn't change the framework, only renamed QList,
QArray and friends to the correct qt3 classes and fixed some small
incompatibility issues between the 2.x and 3.x versions.

But don't update from CVS until you installed KDE3.

> P.S.: By the way, the screenshot looks great. Any reason for the text
> object only working correctly with true type fonts?

Povray 3.1 supports only true type fonts.
I don't use the kde or X font system but open the true type fonts directly
with freetype. You can simply add your windows font directory to the
povray library paths in the configuration dialog and you can use all
windows true type fonts.

> P.P.S.: Are you planning a release for May 28th? According to the page
> it will be one year since the project became public.

I don't know yet.

My current release plan:
- When you switched to kde3 and committed your changes, I will ask in the
kde-devel mailing list if we can move to the kde-graphics package. As
only few objects are missing, we will have no problem to finish the 1.0
version before KDE3.1. The program will then be in any >= KDE3.1 release.
- I will then ask on the kde-devel and kde-doc-en mailing lists if someone
is interested to write a user documentation.
I don't want to release a version without a user documentation.

Greetings, Andreas

 Andreas Zehender, Dipl. Ing. (BA)
 Student, 9th semester computer science
 http://www.azweb.de