[kplato] Development Status?

Dag Andersen danders at get2net.dk
Mon Feb 18 15:37:02 CET 2008

Mandag 18 februar 2008 14:40 skrev Charles Ritchie:
> Dag,
>
> Thank you for your response.  At this time I will focus on the
> requirements.  I am currently running Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 4 and when I start
> Kplato it crashes.  When my system is more stable I would be happy to help
> with testing.
Yes, I tried the kubuntu myself (7.10), but gave up as it crashed a lot.
I'm running Debian etch since bet3, and have had no problems at all.

> The Discussion Summary for Kplato (which includes the current set of
> requirements) is currently maintained as an HTML document.  Do you have any
> objections to my documenting requirements as an ODF file, or would you
> prefer this information in some other format?
ODF should be fine, after all it's the koffice native format :)

> In general, I think that I can add substantial detail to the requirements.
> Currently there appears to be a few dozen requirements, mostly high-level
> in nature.  I would expect that a project scheduling tool would have
> several hundred detailed requirements, ranging from high-priority
> requirements that describe essential functionality (like the ability to
> display Gantt charts) to requirements that would be "nice to have" but
> which, if missing, would not prevent anyone from productively using the
> product.
Note that this document has not been updated in a *very* long time, and it has
not really been followed, so the relevance to what has been implemented is
mostly incidental.

> If it's ok with you, I will write up a small sample set of requirements and
> make them available for you to review.  Each requirement will have a
> description, the rationale for the requirement, and the fit criteria -- a
> description of how we will know if the requirement has been met.  The fit
> criteria can be used as the basis for testing.  Also, each requirement can
> be individually prioritized by the community, which provides the basis for
> an ongoing development road map.
The very professional way to do it, and very ok with me.
Of course, in the short term (next release) it would be better if you could
test kplato and point out things that *must* be fixed before release, but I
good req.spec is worth gold in the long run.

> In case you are interested, I will provide some information about my
> background and experience:
>
> I have been working in Information Technology (IT) for about 30 years,
> mostly in large data centers.
> I have been using Linux off and on for about 8 years.  My primary business
> system is a Mac.
> I was once a Systems Programmer (essentially a sysadmin for large IBM
> mainframe systems).  I used to code quite a bit but primarily in mainframe
> scripting languages and also mainframe assembler.  Unfortunately I don't
> have any Java or C experience.
> I have been managing IT projects for about 13 years, and I have the Project
> Management Professional (PMP) certification from the Project Management
> Institute (PMI).
> I used to teach Project Management classes at the University of California
> (adult education) and I have written or co-written several classes.
> I own an IT professional services company here in California.
> I have been involved with some very large-scale projects, including moving
> entire data centers.  These projects often have complex project scheduling
> needs.
> In addition to managing IT projects, I have experience writing software
> requirements specifications for new products.
Impressive :)
I have some PM experience myself but only small projects, often as
sub-projects in a larger projects, where the real management (economy,
statistics, etc) was taken care of by the parent project. No formal PM
education, though, so I could have benefitted by one of your classes.

> One of my employees has a high level of expertise in project scheduling,
> and is part of a team at PMI that is working on professional certification
> for project schedulers.  She was recently certified by Microsoft in the use
> of MS-Project 2007.  She may also be interested in providing some
> assistance.
That would be fantastic. The scheduling implemented so far is very limited and
has to be improved a lot in the future.

> Thank you for the opportunity to help!
>
> Charles Ritchie
>
> On Feb 18, 2008 4:06 AM, Dag Andersen <danders at get2net.dk> wrote:
> > Mandag 18 februar 2008 04:33 skrev Charles Ritchie:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Hi, Charles.
> >
> > > I am interested in using and possibly lending some support to Kplato.
> >
> >  What
> >
> > > is the current level of development activity?
> >
> > Steady but slow :)
> >
> > > Is there an updated version
> > > that will be included in KOffice 2.0?
> >
> > Certainly hope so.
> >
> > > I am not a developer but I am very
> > > familiar with project scheduling tools and could potentially assist
> > > with documentation (requirements or user documentation), testing, and
> > > the
> >
> > like.
> > You are very, very wellcome! Input is needed for all you mention.
> > * Requirements. In the short term it would be nice to get a second
> > opinion on
> > whether I have my priorities right or have missed something crucial.
> > * Testing. Both the scheduling and ui needs a thorough work through.
> > * Documentation. There are a number of people that worked on docs for the
> > last
> > release. I think some of them will contribute this time too, but I'm sure
> > they'll appreciate help.
> >
> > --
> > Mvh
> > Dag Andersen