[kplato] Development Status?

Charles Ritchie charles.a.ritchie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 14:40:25 CET 2008

Dag,

Thank you for your response.  At this time I will focus on the
requirements.  I am currently running Kubuntu 8.04 Alpha 4 and when I start
Kplato it crashes.  When my system is more stable I would be happy to help
with testing.

The Discussion Summary for Kplato (which includes the current set of
requirements) is currently maintained as an HTML document.  Do you have any
objections to my documenting requirements as an ODF file, or would you
prefer this information in some other format?

In general, I think that I can add substantial detail to the requirements.
Currently there appears to be a few dozen requirements, mostly high-level in
nature.  I would expect that a project scheduling tool would have several
hundred detailed requirements, ranging from high-priority requirements that
describe essential functionality (like the ability to display Gantt charts)
to requirements that would be "nice to have" but which, if missing, would
not prevent anyone from productively using the product.

If it's ok with you, I will write up a small sample set of requirements and
make them available for you to review.  Each requirement will have a
description, the rationale for the requirement, and the fit criteria -- a
description of how we will know if the requirement has been met.  The fit
criteria can be used as the basis for testing.  Also, each requirement can
be individually prioritized by the community, which provides the basis for
an ongoing development road map.

In case you are interested, I will provide some information about my
background and experience:

I have been working in Information Technology (IT) for about 30 years,
mostly in large data centers.
I have been using Linux off and on for about 8 years.  My primary business
system is a Mac.
I was once a Systems Programmer (essentially a sysadmin for large IBM
mainframe systems).  I used to code quite a bit but primarily in mainframe
scripting languages and also mainframe assembler.  Unfortunately I don't
have any Java or C experience.
I have been managing IT projects for about 13 years, and I have the Project
Management Professional (PMP) certification from the Project Management
Institute (PMI).
I used to teach Project Management classes at the University of California
(adult education) and I have written or co-written several classes.
I own an IT professional services company here in California.
I have been involved with some very large-scale projects, including moving
entire data centers.  These projects often have complex project scheduling
needs.
In addition to managing IT projects, I have experience writing software
requirements specifications for new products.

One of my employees has a high level of expertise in project scheduling, and
is part of a team at PMI that is working on professional certification for
project schedulers.  She was recently certified by Microsoft in the use of
MS-Project 2007.  She may also be interested in providing some assistance.

Thank you for the opportunity to help!

Charles Ritchie