[kplato] MS Project XML Import

Tom Weichmann tomcw at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 7 13:12:02 CEST 2006

I am (of course) forced to use MS Windows at the office and was exposed to MS
Project there.  I started a small improvement project on an apartment
building my Mom owns.  I taught myself MS Project using that project as an
example, but kept having to use time after work to work on it.  I then looked
for Linux alternatives for use at home and came across Gnome Project and
Kplato.

Gnome project offers an import of MS Project XML so I looked for a way to save
this from my Project 2000 at work.  This does not exist, but my theory is
that it is offered in Office XP.

I then looked for a project file viewer for Linux and there is one that is
free to try called Steelray (http://www.steelray.com) that lets you view
MS .mpp files and also export into MS XML.

I imported this into Gnome Project, but that program is not very useable for
me (keeps crashing) and I also like KDE apps better anyway.

I have attached my .mpp file (incase you have MS Project) as well as my .xml
file that I exported from Steelray.  I would suspect that it is the same as
what would come out of MS Office.

I probably do not have the programming skills to do this, but I just wanted to
let you know that it is out there.

Thanks,

Tom Weichmann