[kplato] Hello

Dag Andersen danders at get2net.dk
Mon Nov 6 14:26:30 CET 2006

Lørdag 04 november 2006 12:55 skrev Nicolas MICAS:
> Hello KPlato community!
Hi

> We are a team of five French Students from Toulouse. During our cursus we
> are going to work on the KPlato project, with our teacher Ervin, during
> five months for six hours per week and per persons.
Wellcome :)

> In order to bring good changes to this application we would like to know if
> you have some ideas or advices to help us building our TODO list.
Yes, sure.
Could you give me an idea of your criteria for selecting things to do, I would
be in a better position to propose things that's not on your list.

> Here are some items we think are important to develop (please give us a
> priority order to each point of the list):
Hmm, let's use 1-5, 5 highest.

> BUGGS :
>

> The bug list will be updated by each developper all along the project. A
> special Team will be affected to fix the most important bugs.
>

> IMPROVMENTS:
>

> - Find a solution for the durationwidget.
I don't think the current solution is too bad except for problems with the
layout, OTOH I'm not sure how easy it is to solve, and I'm open to other
solutions, of course.

Prio: 4

> - Task details view: Improve, make it stand-alone? Convert to a "infoview"?
> (as todos in KDE-PIM?)
This one is a little bit outdated, but "infoviews" are missing for all
nodetypes (also the project).

Prio: 2

> - Start-to-finish relation.
Not the most used type of dependency, but nice to have for completeness.

Prio: 1

> - Better handling of resources during scheduling.
The most important thing to implement would be to *not* allow overbooking.
This should probably go along with task priority.

Prio: 3

> - Calendars:
Yes, in these times of globalization I would like be able to handle projects
where resources are spread around the world. This means that defining when
people work and not work should probably be in their respective
timezone.

Prio: 3

> - KDGantt:
There has been some improvements to KDGantt since these todos where written.
Note that KDGantt is a little tricky since it's code originates from
Klaraelvdalens Datakonsult (KD). They develop on their original and may (or
may not) donate their changes to us. This means that the more changes we do
on our "copy" the more problems we have when KD's changes shall be merged
with ours. That said, kplato needs *some* additions to work, so we can't
totally avoid it. OTOH if we make some useful, good quality patches KD might
want to incorporate them.

>             - Static/global IDs for items and tasklink groups.
There is now new id functionallity we can use instead of the static one.
It isn't as fast but I'd try that first anyway.

>             - Presentation of "week-ends" when it doesn't match scale.
I think this has been fixed.

>             - Time-now line.
This is a line that would show current progress.
Refering to my comments above I think I would prefer to improve/generalize the
current progress solution, maybe in a way that makes it possible to use it
for different things. (Like float, actual start/-finish...)

Prio: 3 (Note: improving current progress solution)

>             - Progress for event (milestone) item.
This would probably be a question of color, in which case it can easily be
solved outside KDGantt.

Prio: 2

> - Handle (re-)calculation of started/finished tasks.
Would be part of functionallity to handle things like delays or changes in
available resources during project execution.

Prio: 2

> - Restrict modification of started/finished tasks.
This should probably be part of baselining/revision handling.

> - Make it possible to form resource teams.
Prio: 3

> - Make it possible to request resource allocations from groups.
This must go along with some intelligent resource handling during scheduling,
and in the longer perspective, beeing able to optimize on different criteria
like cost, time, etc.

Prio: 2

> INTERFACE IMPROVMENTS:
>

> - Improve menu- and toolbar structure.
The current structure is a bit arbitrary, it was in a mild state of
desperation I put most dialogs under a Project menu heading. The good thing
about it, is that if you go through the items from top to bottom and then add
some tasks you'll have a fully defined project ready for scheduling.
Atm I'm looking at utilizing the new qt4 treeviews to simplify the dialogs as
they are not very efficient for data input. This will probably have impact on
the menu/toolbars. But, I'm open for suggestions!
Also, there is a kde usability project at http://usability.kde.org/ that
should be consulted at some stage.

Prio: 4

> - Cut, copy, paste.
Prio: 2

> - Icons. Would be nice to have a set with a consistent look.
Yes, please, artists are in short supply!

Prio: 5 ( :) )

> To conclude, we are very pleased to work on this project, hopping that the
> changes we are going to bring will help you.
I'm sure they will !

--
Mvh
Dag Andersen