[kplato] request

Mark Tombs mtombs at chello.se
Sun Oct 31 20:02:08 CET 2004

On Sunday 31 October 2004 13.14, Mark Tombs wrote:
> On Sunday 31 October 2004 11.22, Dag Andersen wrote:
> > On Fredag 29 oktober 2004 20:35, Mark Tombs wrote:
> > > Hi list
> > >
> > > I have a request for kplato functionality. Can it please, please,
> > > please not auto-schedule the way MS Project does, or at least make
> > > it optional? Its the most annoying thing. If I have an
> >
> > I think optional.
> >
> > > over-allocation or whatever, I prefer to be told about it and
> > > decide myself what to do, rather than have my tasks shifting all
> > > over the place.
> >
> > To be able to find out if there is conflicts the project needs to be
> > scheduled, no?
>
> Of course, but it doesn't need to be automatically scheduled for me. I am
> capable of entering my own task durations  (which doesn't have to be work *
> resources, like MSProject insists.) I want to be in control of my project
> plan, is all. I should be able to over-allocate resources if I want to :)
> An auto-schedule function should definitely exist, but in my opinion it
> should be something I request, then it happens, then my plan is left alone,
> if you understand what I mean.
>
> > Hmm, maybe if we define a 'schedule only new task'-mode of calculation
> > that effectively freezes existing tasks.
> > So, if linked to existing tasks the new task will be scheduled in
> > accordance with these but the old tasks will not be rescheduled.
> > If there is enough float and resources it's ok, else conflicts are
> > reported.
> > What do say?
> >
> > > Don't know what the plans are re this, but thought I'd get in
> > > early...
> > >
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > Mark

Some more observations on this. Having looked at the Task Properties dialog, I
personally found it confusing, and I think this is because I am not used to
MS Project. All of the settings and options there seem to assume that as soon
as I change any values, all my tasks will be shifted about.

I think the basic, fundamental thing that I don't agree with is that task
duration is linked to estimated effort. I also don't think that changing one
task should automagically change other tasks too.

It seems to me that if you break the link between duration and estimates then
a lot of the options in the task dialog go away, and even more go away if you
don't auto-schedule. Lets say, for instance, that it works this way:

1. I enter my tasks with durations on them (no estimates yet though)
2. I set up the task dependencies.
3. I click the 'auto-schedule' button, tell it which date to start from
(default from today) and bingo, all my tasks have start and end dates, and I
have a project plan.

Now all I need in a task dialog are task name, duration, start date, end date,
and a check-box for start and end date saying if they are fixed or not. That
way I can pin a task if I don't want it moved by the auto-schedule process.
I've taken the liberty of knocking up a dialog.

Of course, I can enter assignments with estimates on them, and the
auto-schedule process will take those into account.

I don't want to stir up a whole hornets nest here, it just seems a lot simpler
this way...

mark