[kplato] Duration less than a day? (was: request)

Mark Tombs mtombs at chello.se
Fri Nov 5 09:41:44 CET 2004

On Friday 05 November 2004 09.23, Dag Andersen wrote:
> On Torsdag 04 november 2004 20:35, Mark Tombs wrote:

> > > Ok, I understand that, but eventually somebody is going to do the
> > > work so I'm trying to figure out the connection.

> > > Hmm, so in this case the resource doing the work will have
> > > 1day-1min free time, or a workload of 1min/1day?
> > > You probably don't use tasklinks then, you define all
> > > 'dependencies' by setting start- and/or endtimes?
> > > What do you do if you have 2 tasks that depends on each other but
> > > that can be done in 1 day?

> > > No, no, if you are working that way, it must make sense, probably
> > > others do the same somewhere.
> > > We'll see if we can incorporate different ways of working without
> > > making things impossible to understand.

> > Maybe I should tell you what I have been using as a scheduler. I
> > work for a partner to Niku, who produce enterprise portfolio
> > management software. Their history is as a producer of project
> > management software (or rather they bought ABT, who had a history
> > as a producer of project management software). Some of you may know
> > ABT Workbench, once called Project Manager Workbench (PMW). Its
> > been around for donkeys years in various forms, and Niku have now
> > open-sourced it (well, bits, anyway) so you can get it and try it
> > yourself at www.openworkbench.org.
> >
> > It's Niku's flagship product, Clarity, that I want to integrate
> > kplato with, as a replacement for workbench.
> >
> > Workbench doesn't allow you to set the start time of a task, and
> > I've never heard anyone complaining yet ;)
>
> I'd say it depends on what you want the software to do for you.
>
> > The resource knows how
> > many hours / minutes / seconds she is supposed to work on a task on
> > which day. I still don't see how controlling the duration of a task
> > to the minute helps you;
>
> I would have liked to see how a plan looked like, especially for cases
> like:
> Activity 1: You have a presentation to do at 2 o'clock for 2 hours.
> Activity 2: You want, say, 7 hours to prepare.
> How do you schedule these, and how do you show the dependency?

In that case, workbench does have a slight problem, I admit, though you can
give the tasks a finish-finish dependency, i.e. they both finish on the same
day. But you can't have a finish-start dependency on the same day. So in that
respect, workbench is limited, yes.

> > in Workbench, the duration is simply the
> > number of days covered by the task, no more or less than that. Its
> > the assigned work that matters, and the assigned work that you can
> > control to the second.
>
> How do you control it 'to the second' if you don't know when it's
> going to be finished? (except sometime during the day)
> Hmm, maybe you mean the effort here?

Is there an agreed set of definitions anywhere, so that we can all be talking
about the same thing? Effort, Estimate to complete, hours, work, duration, my
brain is melting into goo. I think I might be talking about effort, but in my
world its called estimate to complete (ETC).

I do think it would help you to have a look at workbench. There are quite a
few people using it around the world.