[kplato] request

Dag Andersen danders at get2net.dk
Wed Nov 3 07:40:38 CET 2004

On Søndag 31 oktober 2004 20:02, Mark Tombs wrote:
(snip)

> Some more observations on this. Having looked at the Task
> Properties dialog, I personally found it confusing, and I think
> this is because I am not used to MS Project. All of the settings
> and options there seem to assume that as soon as I change any
> values, all my tasks will be shifted about.
>
> I think the basic, fundamental thing that I don't agree with is
> that task duration is linked to estimated effort. I also don't
> think that changing one task should automagically change other
> tasks too.
>
> It seems to me that if you break the link between duration and
> estimates then a lot of the options in the task dialog go away, and
> even more go away if you don't auto-schedule. Lets say, for
> instance, that it works this way:
>
> 1. I enter my tasks with durations on them (no estimates yet
> though) 2. I set up the task dependencies.
> 3. I click the 'auto-schedule' button, tell it which date to start
> from (default from today) and bingo, all my tasks have start and
> end dates, and I have a project plan.
>
> Now all I need in a task dialog are task name, duration, start
> date, end date, and a check-box for start and end date saying if
> they are fixed or not. That way I can pin a task if I don't want it
> moved by the auto-schedule process. I've taken the liberty of
> knocking up a dialog.
Ok, I had a look at it and have a couple of questions:
Start: Don't you need time also?

End: Do you really need this? It should be start + duration, or do you
have other reasons to include it?

Duration: Do you have any suggestions for the format of the entry
here? I had a discussion with Shaheed a while back about this and we
didn't really find a good solution due to localization.

Task code: I gather you want to enter a code manually, but should it
be number only or text, and should a 'default' be generated?

--
Mvh,
Dag Andersen