[kplato] Question about the gantt view

Thomas Zander zander at planescape.com
Wed May 7 00:08:23 CEST 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:07:35PM +0200, Heiko Evermann wrote:
> Hi everyone,

> Speaking of kdepim: This also leads me to the question why kplato is
> part of koffice? Well, MS Project is part of MS Office, but having a
> planning tool coordinated whith a project management tool would sound
> more reasonable. So how comes that kplato belongs to koffice instead of
> kdepim?

I asked the same question when the project was just launched; that and
more questions are probably best answered by checking the list archives..
lists.kde.org

The reason it fits into koffice is simple; the activity of creating a
project planning is not about data gathering (which kdepim is about) its
about communicating the planning (with KWord) to others and use the
results in presentations/databases.
This all has much to do with office applications.

The trick is that planning needs input as well; like resources and such.
One secion of resources are humans, which means a addressbook coupling
would be a great idea.
Or what about coupling the resulting schedules with korganiser..
So this means kplato should communicate with KDEPim, while things like the
pert or gnatt diagrams can be used to create KWord/KPresenter output.

Hope that helps..
--
Thomas Zander