[kplato] explenation from project managers please?

Martin Fox kplato@kde.org
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 21:58:16 +0100

Hi Thomas

If I recall correctly:

When you calculate dates in a project schedule (from the durations as shown on a network diagram), some activities will have 'float' (ie the non critical activities). These activies can, under certain circumstances, start 'ASAP' or 'ALAP' without affecting succeeding activities and/or the final project finsh date.

If every activity starts as early as possible the finish date is calculated using the so called "earliest start method" otherwise if as late as possible the "latest finish method".

Clearly all the predecessors of an activity will have to finish as early as possible if the activity concerned is to be started on an "early start" basis. There is thus a range of dates for the start/finish of an activity, depending on what has happened in the past.

I am not sure how much detail you want but as a civil engineer with a background in scheduling hopefully I can give you as much as you want/need? :-)

A few more words than 7 but perhaps it helps?

regards

Martin

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 21:06:20 +0100
Thomas Zander <zander@microweb.nl> wrote:

> - what is the influence of scheduling type on a project. (small 7 word
> sentence please).

Martin J Fox
butibum@bluewin.ch
(VK7MM)

The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it.