[KPhotoAlbum] Cataloging workflow

Joe josephj at main.nc.us
Thu May 2 00:38:25 BST 2019

Inline, way down.

On 5/1/19 10:25 AM, Angel Lopez wrote:

> [...]
>     (People,
>     Keywords)
>
>     You might say that solution "a" is not a real solution, but at
>     least it is a
>     way to manage expectations and to keep the level of frustration
>     low. Generally
>     speaking, I would say that approach "b" is a better approach, but
>     whatever
>     works for you is right.
>

> haha, I will try option "b".  I'm starting from 2019 and will go back
> through my collection.
>

>     > Now I started to catalog all of them, But I would like to now what
>     > categories and keywords do other people use. I now this is not a
>     problem
>     > with a single solution, but some tips would be useful.
>
>     Basically, my advice to you is: what things do you search for?
>     You've been
>     using kphotoalbum for a long time: did you ever wish to search for
>     some
>     specific category or tag?
>     These two questions should be a good guide whether something is a
>     good tag for
>     your usage of kphotoalbum.
>

> I see, then I realize that I do not need very complicated tags,
> because, people and places (date is always included) are the more
> important one for me.
>

>     > Yesterday, I tagged a some pictures with Keyword="river", and
>     several
>     > photographs later, I started to tag a set of photographs of a
>     trip to a
>     > river source, where some of them do not have the river itself in the
>     > photograph. So, how to deal with this?
>
>     Personally, I encounter this problem most often when tagging
>     people: is a
>     person in the image if the face is clearly visible, or only if the
>     person is
>     the focus of the image, or even when the person is only partially
>     visible?
>

> That's right. And it is also for some people that appear only once
> every hundred (probably thousands) of shots, like friends from work,
> in Christmas party. Here the answer should be do not tag people , but
> only tag as the name of the company...
>

>     This is a genuinely hard problem. You might want to take a
>     two-pass approach
>     and go over your images a second time, with the goal of making tags
>     consistent. For some categories this may be worthwhile, for others
>     it may be a
>     waste of time.
>
>     One thing to keep in mind, though: Once you found *some* river
>     image of your
>     trip, it is usually easy to find more images of the same trip. So
>     you don't
>     have to be perfect all the time...
>

> Mmm. Ok, I get the point, that if I remember an old photograph close
> to a river, it could be easier if I tag all photographs in the trip as
> "river", so I could find all in the future and get the right one in
Once you find one picture that has what you're looking for, you can
discover what folder it is in and when it was taken. Then, you can exit
the search and just find the photo by its folder or date (among all the
other photos) and then many of the pictures taken at roughly the same
time or in the same folder will probably be what you are looking for
even if they don't have particular tags. So you don't strictly need to
tag all of them to be able to find them although doing so will make them
a bit easier to find.