[KPhotoAlbum] Saving information into exiv

Johannes Zarl-Zierl johannes at zarl-zierl.at
Thu Aug 22 23:26:05 BST 2019

Hi Joan,

Am Donnerstag, 22. August 2019, 18:33:38 CEST schrieb Joan:
> Then, maybe the best way to accomplish what I want would be to add a new
> plugin.
> I would like that the Metadata crated in kphotoalbum was stored in the
> photo exiv field, so I could reuse it on any other program, file explorer,
> etc..
> Where should I start? I have no experience developing in kde

KPhotoAlbum currently supports two plugin types: KIPI plugins and purpose
plugins.

KIPI was specifically created with support for image metadata in mind, but is
basically obsolete by now and will be removed from KPhotoAlbum some time in
the future.

Purpose, is a new plugin system that was created for much simpler needs
(exporting images to websites). It does not currently support metadata export
as you would need. The good news though is that purpose plugins can be
improved to support this use-case.

This means that you need to:
1. Add support for metadata-exports to purpose
2. Write a purpose plugin that exports the data to exif.

If you're still interested I can put you in contact with the purpose
maintainer and help you along the way (as far as my time allows).

I should also mention that there's a different approach that may work for you:
You could parse the index.xml file and use a script to write the info to the
image files (don't forget to recompute the md5 sums in kphotoalbum
afterwards).

Cheers,
  Johannes