[KPhotoAlbum] Searching

Tobias Leupold tobias.leupold at gmx.de
Thu Oct 18 09:52:55 BST 2018

Hi Joe :-)

> I'm talking about something "conceptually" basic. Something like add the
> tag "Deer" (which already exists and is selected on many pictures) to
> any picture with deer in it. I've never looked at whatever facial
> recognition stuff is already in KPA, but something like that for things
> other than people's faces would be great.
>
> In other words, I'm primarily looking for something which "recognizes"
> features/objects (and, to a lesser extent, locations/settings (I don't
> have GPS cameras)).

I worked a lot on the face recognition back then. Meanwhile, we sadly had
to kick it out again, because 1. the Digikam guys apparently don't really
want other people to use their shared library for face recognition anymore
and 2. it just didn't work very good. At no point. It worked a bit, kind of
... but after all, it was more work to correct what was wrong than to just
do it manually.

And here, we're just talking about face recognition, not evaluation of all
kinds of things on an image.

If we had an AI that could do this work for us, the whole manual tagging
thing would be obsolete ;-)

I don't want to talk too pessimist, but I'm, pretty sure that if you aren't
Google, the MI6 or whatever, you won't even remotely be able to implement
such an AI. I personally wouldn't even be able to implement an AI that can
play XXO ;-)

No harm meant! But I'm very sure this is wide out of what we can do in the
foreseeable future.

The GPS thing in contrast can be fixed quite easy: I also don't have GPS
cameras. But when I want to geotag, I carry a simple GPS logger with me
(i-Blue 747A+, really cool thingy with a cellphone battery that lasts like
forver). Only thing you have to take care of is that the clock of your
photo is correct. Then, back home, you can read out the GPS track and
correlate the images with it and voilĂ : you have your geotags :-)

Cheers, Tobias