[KPhotoAlbum] Category localization removal

Andreas Neustifter andreas.neustifter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 22:37:12 GMT 2015

Hi,

it seems to work fine, but only did really shallow testing. (Renaming
category, browsing XML.)

On comment on the UI: I HATE modal dialogs. (No offfence, you couldn't have
known but since I have the possibility to infuence some of them I will try
:)

Its okay to show the first-time message explaining whats going on, but also
this might be better done in a tooltip above the status bar.

The message after finishing the rename is
- confusing, even I don't know what you mean.
- unnecessarily technical.
- useless.

I would propose the following UI:
- when the DB is in a saved state:
  - when the renaming is started add (show) two buttons in the category
pane called "cancel" and "rename and save DB", everything but clicking
rename and save cancels the rename. this makes clear whats going on without
the need for a modal dialog.
- when the DB is not saved:
  - disable the rename button (grey it out) and add a small text label
below the buttons that tells the user to save the DB to enable the renaming.

This:
- gets rid of the modal dialog.
- forces the user to save the DB before renaming (so he can decide if and
when he want's to save, rename.
- provides a clear procedure after the renaming is done what has to be done
to make it effective in a safe way.

I sincerely hope I was understandable (and not rude), if not please feel
free to comment!

Andreas