[KPhotoAlbum] Tokens and stacks [was: Re: More patches]

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Aug 15 15:32:49 BST 2015

On Sat, 15 Aug 2015 16:05:07 +0200, Johannes Zarl-Zierl wrote:
> ...resending because I was sending from the wrong address before...
>
> On Friday 07 August 2015 23:18:59 Robert Krawitz wrote:
>> * uppercase-tokens: typing a token with the shift key (upper case) in
>>   the thumbnail view applies or removes the token from all images in
>>   stacks.
>
> Before I change the situation here, I'd like to gather some feedback here on the list.
>
> First: is the current behaviour "correct" (i.e. the least surprising behaviour)?
> E.g. I have until yesterday assumed that tokens work on whole stacks, not just the front image (and for that reason I've wondered some times why I didn't add a token to a specific image).
> Would it be better to make tokens work on whole stacks by default?

They don't operate on full stacks:

const DB::FileNameList selection = widget()->selection(NoExpandCollapsedStacks);

> If so, we could change the default behaviour and use the proposed patch to only work on the front image of a stack, or maybe the patch would not even be needed anymore.

I personally almost never want the default behavior, but I hate to say
that that applies to everyone.

My most common use case is when I've shot RAW+JPEG.  After I load the
new images, I autostack them; the image (RAW or JPEG) at the top of
the stack is then random.  I use tokens A and K to denote the images I
want to select and those that I want to completely reject respectively
(untagged images are the ones I'm not planning to select, but which
I may decide later I want).

Sometimes I want the RAW image and sometimes I want the JPEG, but in
either case, I obviously need to tag the entire stack.

BTW, on another note, are you looking at my comments on the lens EXIF
code?

--Eric Crampton