[KPhotoAlbum] Super categories makeover

Tobias Leupold tobias.leupold at web.de
Wed Aug 6 10:22:38 BST 2014

> I like the clean look of the tree representation, but I fear that having the
> categories inside the tree will confuse users (e.g. "why can't I make
> Places a subcategory of Keywords?"). Having a stronger visual distinction
> in the final version would be great.
I thought having the "real" categories as top-level items would be nice,
because it eliminates the need for additional GUI elements. What bout simply
making them bold? No context menu, no dragging. Should be clear enough that
the "real" categories can't be handled like that sub-categories (that are just
tags), shouldn't it?

> Do you want the category-tree widget to replace the others on the
> subcategory page, or do you intend to keep them side-by-side? In the latter
> case, we would need to sync the views somehow.
I'd only keep the tree view and drop everything else.

> I don't see why it shouldn't work this way. Maybe it would be good to
> combine the drop-down category selector with the tree-view - this way you
> have something better than "1" to display as a column title in the tree
> view widget, and you don't have the issues I described above in the initial
> paragraph.
What about simply not displaying the column title at all? (see above)

The current state is of course not what it should look like later. I simply
added what was necessary to display the tree hierarchy (which was not so
trivial to compute as I thought initially ;-)

I'll try to implement the GUI in a way I think it will be nice, saying the
drag-and drop (with a copy/move action) and the rename functions. Let's see
how far I get ;-)