[KPhotoAlbum] Fwd: Re: KPhotoAlbum crashes while generating thumbnails during start

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Mon May 20 17:44:35 BST 2013

Hello Johannes,

sorry, it took me a while to find the time to compile KPA and test your
patch.

Unfortunately I can't see any improvement. Is there anything else that I
can try now that I'm able to compile KPA?

Manfred

Btw. initially I did get an error when I tried to apply the patch:

manfred at icg-pc217:~/src/kphotoalbum$ git apply
0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch
0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch:18: trailing whitespace.
#ifdef REQUESTQUEUE_PREEMPT
0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch:25: trailing whitespace.
#endif
0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch:28: trailing whitespace.
#ifdef REQUESTQUEUE_PREEMPT
0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch:30: trailing whitespace.
#endif
error: Anwendung des Patches fehlgeschlagen:
ImageManager/RequestQueue.cpp:47
error: ImageManager/RequestQueue.cpp: Patch konnte nicht angewendet
werden

Using --whitespace=fix seems to fix it:

manfred at icg-pc217:~/src/kphotoalbum$ git apply --whitespace=fix
0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch
0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch:18: trailing whitespace.
#ifdef REQUESTQUEUE_PREEMPT
0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch:25: trailing whitespace.
#endif
0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch:28: trailing whitespace.
#ifdef REQUESTQUEUE_PREEMPT
0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch:30: trailing whitespace.
#endif
warning: 4 Zeilen fügen Fehler in Leerzeichen hinzu.

I hope this was the right thing to do?

Am 07.05.2013 21:55, schrieb Johannes Zarl:

> Hello Manfred,
>
> Just to try my theory out, could you please try the attached patch?
>
> A quick way of attaching the patch to your clone of the repo is as follows:
>
> $ git apply 0001-Disable-Thumbnailrequest-preemption.patch
>
> The patch disables preemption of low priority thumbnail jobs by higher
> priority ones. This should hopefully make the gui more responsive in your
> specific situation.
>
> Does the patch change anything for you?
>
> Cheers,
> Johannes
>
> On Tuesday 07 May 2013 17:35:28 Johannes Zarl wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 May 2013 17:15:54 you wrote: Hi Johannes, thanks. Unfortunately I have no idea what the issue could be. Maybe I can do some debugging when I have a bit more time than at the moment. Assuming it's really a problem caused by file-system latency I'll try altering the priority-handling of the thumbnail scheduler so that it does not do preemption... Perhaps you should forward this mail also to the mailing list in case somebody else has any idea. I'm pretty sure it did not made it there. At least I didn't get it and it's also not visible in the archives: https://mail.kdab.com/pipermail/kphotoalbum/2013-May/thread.html [1] [1]. Ok, done. My bad. I always keep using the wrong address :-| Thanks, Johannes

Links:
------
[1] https://mail.kdab.com/pipermail/kphotoalbum/2013-May/thread.html