[KPhotoAlbum] Maintenance / Merge duplicates

Martin Jost lists at majo.name
Sun May 12 15:05:59 BST 2013

Hello,

I just discovered "Maintenance/Merge duplicates".
(I was about to write me a perl hack for similar effect, based on the
md5 sums in index.xml)

I have some comments on this:
1.
Wouldn't it be better to default KPA to *no*t do any action on the
photos, instead of merging to the first one in each list ?
It sounds somewhat dangerous to me and the first thing I did was a click
"Select None" at the bottom.

2.
Most of my duplicates seem to be two entries in index.xml for the same
photo. (Same complete path-name)
This is probably from me messing with the file in an editor. (E.g.
merging two independently edited/updated versions)
a.
Would KPA handle this correctly at all ?
(Meaning discovering, that it is just one image and NOT trying to delete
"one of them" - meaning the only one in this case ?)

b.
Should KPA show this differently, as just one line, noting that two
entries exist ? (Or even as two sections in the list)

Explanation:
I have more than one computer running KPA; and if I'm unlucky enough my
index.xml run out of sync and I need to merge the mess, resulting from
my carelessness.
(Being able to play tricks like this, is one of many, many reasons, why
I like KPA that much !)

3.
I would like to see the list (optionally ?) sorted by pathname - that
would make it easier to see in cases like 2. when I duplicated a whole
bunch of entries for a complete photo session.

4.
I would like to export the list of duplicates as a text file, giving the
line number in index.xml.
Preferably this should be 'grep -n' like output (because emacs
understands this and can jump from location to location, when using such
a list)

What do you think ?

Regards - and thanks for KPA
(Currently taking care of 20.133 photos and counting...) !

Martin

Please let me know if I should create bug tracker entries (probably as
"wishlist item") for some of these.