[KPhotoAlbum] A few stacking issues

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Thu Feb 14 20:42:00 GMT 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:10:12 +0200, Miika Turkia wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 13:27:37 +0800, Miika Turkia wrote:
>> Also, I'm finding autostacking not actually happening.  Perhaps because
>> I've turned off search for new photos at startup (for performance
>> reasons)?
>
> Yes, the autostacking is part of the new image finder. So if you want
> it to happen automatically, you must let KPA search for new images on
> startup.

I think it should also stack when I manually run search for new images.
It doesn't make sense for this to only happen on startup.

>>> IIRC there is one option in the exports that includes file
>>> hierarchies. Most likely the include images in .kim file. However, I
>>> personally copy my images to my server manually and merge the
>>> databases with an external script. Not that fluid but has worked well
>>> enough for me. (I don't remember who wrote the script, but can try to
>>> dig it up once I get back home with good network connectivity...)
>>
>> Include in .kim file is of no interest to me.  I use a separate script
>> to sync my two image hierarchies.  This database merge script would be
>> useful.
>
> kphotomerge is written by Wes Hardaker and available on his site:
> http://www.hardakers.net/kphotoalbum/#sec-5.2

OK.

>>> Anyway, I am not sure if anyone really uses the current flat export
>>> design, as it clearly has its limitations. So the import/export would
>>> need some loving, or external script approach should be clearly
>>> documented and such script included in the KPA script directory.
>>
>> I do, but it's because I'm using export for a completely different
>> purpose: to extract images from the database for external processing.  I
>> select the images I want, export them (having to change a whole bunch of
>> completely wrong defaults), remove the .kim file, and then do what I
>> please.  I don't need the hierarchy for that, but it isn't what export
>> is designed to do.  But there does need to be some way, other than drag
>> and drop into a file manager (I never use file managers -- I'm a command
>> line type).
>
> Sounds like after selection, right clicking and selecting Invoke
> External Program -> All Selected Items -> Your Command Line (or Open
> With) might be of use to you.

Maybe, but what I really want is "cp <files> <wherever>".  I just want
them copied where I want them, then I go off and manipulate them from an
xterm window.  I could use "mkdir /home/rlk/stuff; cp %all wherever",
but that's clunky.

> About the tagging of stacks.. It is currently possible to tag the
> whole stack from thumbnail view. If you have a stack collapsed and
> selected, select Annotate Multiple Images. This will tag/annotate the
> whole stack. However, it is slower than using tokens and it would
> really be an improvement if one could do the this directly from the
> viewer. (My quick look into the sources did not reveal how to enable
> this on the viewer..I'll need to take another look when I have a bit
> more time.)
>
> In general, I think we have users who would like the tagging of a
> stack to affect the whole stack automatically but we also have users
> who wont it to affect only the top of the stack.

That's understandable, and in some cases, I might want one behavior or
the other.  Perhaps a preference, or a hotkey to flip between one
behavior or the other (with the behavior being sticky across sessions)?

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton