[KPhotoAlbum] A few stacking issues

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 05:00:31 GMT 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:42 PM, Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 22:10:12 +0200, Miika Turkia wrote:
>> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 13:27:37 +0800, Miika Turkia wrote:
>>> Also, I'm finding autostacking not actually happening.  Perhaps because
>>> I've turned off search for new photos at startup (for performance
>>> reasons)?
>>
>> Yes, the autostacking is part of the new image finder. So if you want
>> it to happen automatically, you must let KPA search for new images on
>> startup.
>
> I think it should also stack when I manually run search for new images.
> It doesn't make sense for this to only happen on startup.

Yes, it should run on this case. And it currently works just fine for
me (at least with version 4.4). However, I am quite certain it did not
work 15 minutes ago for me.

>> About the tagging of stacks.. It is currently possible to tag the
>> whole stack from thumbnail view. If you have a stack collapsed and
>> selected, select Annotate Multiple Images. This will tag/annotate the
>> whole stack. However, it is slower than using tokens and it would
>> really be an improvement if one could do the this directly from the
>> viewer. (My quick look into the sources did not reveal how to enable
>> this on the viewer..I'll need to take another look when I have a bit
>> more time.)
>>
>> In general, I think we have users who would like the tagging of a
>> stack to affect the whole stack automatically but we also have users
>> who wont it to affect only the top of the stack.
>
> That's understandable, and in some cases, I might want one behavior or
> the other.  Perhaps a preference, or a hotkey to flip between one
> behavior or the other (with the behavior being sticky across sessions)?

I'll keep this in mind. For the tokens I even thought that lower case
letter could stack the selected image, capital letter the whole stack.
How does that sound? (I am not sure at all how easy these are to
implement in the Viewer, but at least ability to annotate the whole
stack from the viewer would speed up my workflow.)

miika