[KPhotoAlbum] A few stacking issues

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 20:10:12 GMT 2013

On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 13:27:37 +0800, Miika Turkia wrote:
> Also, I'm finding autostacking not actually happening.  Perhaps because
> I've turned off search for new photos at startup (for performance
> reasons)?

Yes, the autostacking is part of the new image finder. So if you want
it to happen automatically, you must let KPA search for new images on
startup.

>> IIRC there is one option in the exports that includes file
>> hierarchies. Most likely the include images in .kim file. However, I
>> personally copy my images to my server manually and merge the
>> databases with an external script. Not that fluid but has worked well
>> enough for me. (I don't remember who wrote the script, but can try to
>> dig it up once I get back home with good network connectivity...)
>
> Include in .kim file is of no interest to me.  I use a separate script
> to sync my two image hierarchies.  This database merge script would be
> useful.

kphotomerge is written by Wes Hardaker and available on his site:
http://www.hardakers.net/kphotoalbum/#sec-5.2

>> Anyway, I am not sure if anyone really uses the current flat export
>> design, as it clearly has its limitations. So the import/export would
>> need some loving, or external script approach should be clearly
>> documented and such script included in the KPA script directory.
>
> I do, but it's because I'm using export for a completely different
> purpose: to extract images from the database for external processing.  I
> select the images I want, export them (having to change a whole bunch of
> completely wrong defaults), remove the .kim file, and then do what I
> please.  I don't need the hierarchy for that, but it isn't what export
> is designed to do.  But there does need to be some way, other than drag
> and drop into a file manager (I never use file managers -- I'm a command
> line type).

Sounds like after selection, right clicking and selecting Invoke
External Program -> All Selected Items -> Your Command Line (or Open
With) might be of use to you.

About the tagging of stacks.. It is currently possible to tag the
whole stack from thumbnail view. If you have a stack collapsed and
selected, select Annotate Multiple Images. This will tag/annotate the
whole stack. However, it is slower than using tokens and it would
really be an improvement if one could do the this directly from the
viewer. (My quick look into the sources did not reveal how to enable
this on the viewer..I'll need to take another look when I have a bit
more time.)

In general, I think we have users who would like the tagging of a
stack to affect the whole stack automatically but we also have users
who wont it to affect only the top of the stack.

miika