[KPhotoAlbum] A few stacking issues

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 3 15:18:40 GMT 2013

On Sun, 3 Feb 2013 13:27:37 +0800, Miika Turkia wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> a quick follow up on the things mentioned on this thread (to whatever
> questions I happen to remember and have something to comment about).
>
> The order whether raw or jpg is on top of the stack can be affected by
> the detection regular expressions. However, I am not sure whether this
> works if you import both jpg and raw of the same image simultaneously
> (I have never shot raw+jpg as all my cameras include full size or big
> enough thumbnail in the raw).
>
> What I have currently is File version regex:
> (_(v){0,1}([0-9]){1,2}){0,1}(_[0-9]{1,2}){0,1}\.(jpg|JPG|tif|TIF|png|PNG)
>
> original replacement:
> .NEF;.CR2;.ORF;.JPG;.jpg

I'm pretty certain it does not work with raw+jpeg -- some of the stack
tops are RAW and some are JPEG.

Also, I'm finding autostacking not actually happening.  Perhaps because
I've turned off search for new photos at startup (for performance
reasons)?

> IIRC there is one option in the exports that includes file
> hierarchies. Most likely the include images in .kim file. However, I
> personally copy my images to my server manually and merge the
> databases with an external script. Not that fluid but has worked well
> enough for me. (I don't remember who wrote the script, but can try to
> dig it up once I get back home with good network connectivity...)

Include in .kim file is of no interest to me.  I use a separate script
to sync my two image hierarchies.  This database merge script would be
useful.

> Anyway, I am not sure if anyone really uses the current flat export
> design, as it clearly has its limitations. So the import/export would
> need some loving, or external script approach should be clearly
> documented and such script included in the KPA script directory.

I do, but it's because I'm using export for a completely different
purpose: to extract images from the database for external processing.  I
select the images I want, export them (having to change a whole bunch of
completely wrong defaults), remove the .kim file, and then do what I
please.  I don't need the hierarchy for that, but it isn't what export
is designed to do.  But there does need to be some way, other than drag
and drop into a file manager (I never use file managers -- I'm a command
line type).

MIT VI-3 1987 - Congratulations MIT Engineers men's hoops Final Four!

--Eric Crampton