[KPhotoAlbum] Ready for 4.2-rc1?

Miika Turkia miika.turkia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 20:43:10 GMT 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 8:08 PM, Martin Jost <lists at majo.name> wrote:
> 1.
> README tells
>> For a list of changes, see the ChangeLog file
>
> But this stops with:
>> "2011-05-30  Jesper K. Pedersen  <blackie at kdab.com>"
>
> => There should be a documentation of what changed.
> Preferably a detailed one and a high level one.

I have a top ten changes already prepared. Just need to commit that
one. A detailed commit log is accessible on-line, I just added a link
to the README (http://quickgit.kde.org/index.php?p=kphotoalbum.git&a=log)

> 2.
> [F1] or "Help/KPA handbook" ends with "Documentation not found"
> My understanding from the compile/install is, that it should be present
> - isn't it ?

That is a bit tricky as my understanding is that khelpcenter shows
documentation only from one location. Therefore I have a symlink
pointing to my KPA installation location:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 51 2012-02-21 20:46
/usr/share/doc/kde/HTML/en/kphotoalbum ->
/opt/kpa/kde4-install/share/doc/HTML/en/kphotoalbum

Any ideas what we can do to have the documentation available on
khelpcenter are welcome.

BTW the current documentation is now available on-line on docs.kde.org
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/kphotoalbum/kphotoalbum.pdf
http://docs.kde.org/development/en/extragear-graphics/kphotoalbum/index.html

> 3.
> After the run, I had a whole bunch of the following message on the konsole:
>> kphotoalbum(11022) KWidgetItemDelegateEventListener::eventFilter: User of KWidgetItemDelegate should not delete widgets created by createItemWidgets!

No idea about that one, haven't seen it on mine...

> 4.
> If you have the "Loading of new files"-dialog still open and do a
> "File/quit", you are asked, if you want to save the changes.
> I click  "No"; the confirmation dialog closes, but nothing else happens
> at first.
> The moment you "cancel" the "Loading of new files"-dialog, KPA closes
> without further notice. Same after the scanning ends.
> [Ok, quite special situation...]
> And the good news: No crashes in this regard, even if I try to provoke
> it. My old rule of thumb was: "Never touch KPA in any way, while it is
> still scanning for new photos"

Interesting feature. Should be fixed but we'll just have to live with
it for now...
If you want the crashes back, just test out import/export. Should
already be fixed though.

> 5.
> Funny observation concerning Help/Switch application language:
> If I use this, to switch from English back to German, it notes (as every
> time), that this will only take effect after a restart of KPA, but in
> fact the headings of the icons in the main window (Tokens, Places, ...)
> change, but the menus stay the same.

So part of the user interface changes language immediately but the
menus only after restart? If so then the message should be updated.

> 6.
> "Reread Exif information" really takes a loooong time (with my 16970 photos)
> But in contrast to the scanning of the new photos, this blocks the
> application.

Should be threaded as all the other slow operations (at least
Maintenance->AutoStack comes to mind).

> IHMO most of these issues are (very) minor.
> Just 2 (documentation) would be real nice to see fixed.

Agreed, 1 and 2 should be fixed (2 might require real deb and rpm
packages to install to system wide standard location).

Thank's for testing it out.

miika