[KPhotoAlbum] Ready for 4.2-rc1?

Martin Jost lists at majo.name
Sun Mar 4 18:08:42 GMT 2012

Am 03.03.2012 21:37, schrieb Miika Turkia:
> I've tried to package the release candidate. However, I could not find
> any definite instructions what a release would include and how to wrap
> it up. So feel free to comment on it before I upload it to KDE site
> and update the web pages.
>
> http://www.vaarin.kalsarit.net/KPA/kphotoalbum-4.2-rc1.tar.bz2
>
> Steps to create:
> git clone git://anongit.kde.org/releaseme
> cd releaseme
> create kphotoalbum.rb and kphotoalbumrc (attached)
> ./kphotoalbum.rb --version 4.2-rc1

Hello,

here are my first round of points from giving it a try.
Environment:
OpenSuse 12.1, 64 Bit, Intel 4 Core i5.
KDE set to German locale.

Older versions of KPA (including 4.1.1 and version pulled from git, have
been present on the system before)

The points I've found so far:

1.
README tells
> For a list of changes, see the ChangeLog file

But this stops with:
> "2011-05-30  Jesper K. Pedersen  <blackie at kdab.com>"

=> There should be a documentation of what changed.
Preferably a detailed one and a high level one.

2.
[F1] or "Help/KPA handbook" ends with "Documentation not found"
My understanding from the compile/install is, that it should be present
- isn't it ?

3.
After the run, I had a whole bunch of the following message on the konsole:
> kphotoalbum(11022) KWidgetItemDelegateEventListener::eventFilter: User of KWidgetItemDelegate should not delete widgets created by createItemWidgets!

4.
If you have the "Loading of new files"-dialog still open and do a
"File/quit", you are asked, if you want to save the changes.
I click  "No"; the confirmation dialog closes, but nothing else happens
at first.
The moment you "cancel" the "Loading of new files"-dialog, KPA closes
without further notice. Same after the scanning ends.
[Ok, quite special situation...]
And the good news: No crashes in this regard, even if I try to provoke
it. My old rule of thumb was: "Never touch KPA in any way, while it is
still scanning for new photos"

5.
Funny observation concerning Help/Switch application language:
If I use this, to switch from English back to German, it notes (as every
time), that this will only take effect after a restart of KPA, but in
fact the headings of the icons in the main window (Tokens, Places, ...)
change, but the menus stay the same.

6.
"Reread Exif information" really takes a loooong time (with my 16970 photos)
But in contrast to the scanning of the new photos, this blocks the
application.

IHMO most of these issues are (very) minor.
Just 2 (documentation) would be real nice to see fixed.

Regards - and a BIG THANK YOU for one of my favourite applications !

Martin

P.S.:
Looking forward to the new release !