[KPhotoAlbum] Extending the database schema

Ashley J Gittins agittins at purple.dropbear.id.au
Sat Feb 25 07:08:00 GMT 2012

On 02/25/2012 04:36 PM, Miika Turkia wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Johannes Zarl<isilmendil at gmx.net>  wrote:
>> On Friday 24 February 2012 21:06:15 Tuomas Suutari wrote:
>>> On 24 February 2012 21:55, Andreas Neustifter
>>>
>>> It's unfinished feature, so I certainly hope that it's not so widely
>>> used yet.
>> I guess we can disable it by default then...
> It's disabled now, enable by adding -DKPA_ENABLE_SQLDB=1 to cmake
> parameters.

FWIW, I used to use the SQL backend - with postgres of all things.

That was some time ago and at some point I must have gone back to binary
releases and dropped back to using xml - which is exactly when I stopped
using KPA because for whatever reason the xml backend kept corrupting
and crashing KPA. I have a feeling it was because of the number of
images or something causing corruption in the xml file.

I gave up on cataloging my images at that point, hoping that one day KPA
would come out with DB support out-of-the-box and I could trust it
again. Working with a flat text file seems to get pretty sluggish rather
quickly - I can't imagine that I would have more images than anyone else
so it might have been something more specific to my system.

At any rate, I'd love to see DB support brought into KPA (even just
using Sqlite) but it would only be possible if someone with time, skill
and motivation (I lack at least one of those at any point in time) were
to champion it.

My dream solution would be KPA acting as the gui front-end to a db where
I put all of my photos, then my web server would use the same DB to
publish photos that I have tagged as being "published". KPA is so much
better than any web-based front-end I've seen, but its backend was the
part that just didn't seem to fit my (admittedly peculiar) requirements.

Anyway, if SQL support was enabled in previous releases, then I'd
suggest perhaps leaving the default build settings with it enabled, but
perhaps remove the config options from the gui - that way if there are
any people still using it with db support, their config files might
still work after an upgrade.

Cheers,
     Ashley Gittins