[KPhotoAlbum] Preparing for new release

Johannes Zarl isilmendil at gmx.net
Thu Feb 9 21:19:18 GMT 2012

On Thursday 09 February 2012 11:06:29 Joe wrote:
> Wow. There is a help function! Please add this to the next release. But
> also check how outdated the content may be.

Does this mean we have a volunteer for checking the user-documentation? :-)

Jokes aside, I'm sure that help on the documentation would be greatly
appreciated. You are right that user-documentation should be a priority. I'm
not sure if the coders are really the best people for this job, though: They
simply are too involved with the program to see where others might have
problems.

From my own experience self-written documentation tends to have too much
detail on irrelevant parts of the program ("look here - we did a really neat
job on making feature XY easy to understand"), but skip over "boring" stuff
("everybody knows regexp's, if they needed help they would do a man perlre,
anyways").

An "outsider" (i.e. someone with only a black-box mental model of the program)
is much more likely to trip over false implicit assumptions and thus see which
parts of the program really need documentation.

So back to recruiting: could you check the current documentation (e.g. the PDF
Mika mentioned(*)) for factual errors and other problems? Bug-reports would be
a great starting-point for getting better docs; Corrections (and updated
screenshots) would be perfect!

Cheers,
  Johannes

(*) The "What's this" tips might need some love, too? I guess they are mostly
ok with KPA, at least by KDE4 standards, but they are probably worth checking,
too...