[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum Crashes when viewing thumbnails

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 18 05:39:28 BST 2011

--- On Fri, 6/17/11, Joe <josephj at main.nc.us> wrote:
From: Joe <josephj at main.nc.us>
Subject: Re: [KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum Crashes when viewing thumbnails
To: "Murray Strome" <wmstrome at yahoo.com>

I'm going to try this soon, so I can't address your final error.

Usually, /opt should remain owned by root.
What Mike did (and may not have mentioned on list) is that he manually
created /opt/kpa as root and then changed it's ownership to his user.
That way he was exposing only /opt/kpa and not all of /opt.  If you are
on a single user system, this distinction probably isn't too important,
but it could lead to unintended security vulnerabilities or other
permission problems depending on what else you install in /opt.

Thanks for the hint. I changed the ownership of /opt/kpa to myself as user and ran the script again. It worked fine.  It now shows I am running
"KPhotoAlbum Version GIT Using KDE Development Platform 4.6.2 (4.6.2)". Time only will tell if the problem still arises. I can now run it from a terminal by typing:
/opt/kpa/kphotoalbum/kphotoalbum &

Once I remember how to do it, I will be able to put it into my Applications launcher

Also, if you're not on a 64 bit system, take a look at the script's
setting for KDE4_DIR.  I had to change it as follows because I don't
have a lib64 subdirectory.  (The # turns the rest of any line into a
comment in bash.)

##jjp KDE4_DIR=/usr/lib64/kde4
KDE4_DIR=/usr/lib/kde4
I am running a 64 bit system, so I did not have to worry about the above step.

HTH

Joe

Thanks to all for you help. I guess I just keep using this version now until the repository catches up to this version or later , assuming my problem does not reappear in the meantime.

How will I be able to tell when the repository has a stable version that has the fixes that are in the GIT version I am now running?

Murray