[KPhotoAlbum] Starting to generate thumbnails before UI has been loaded

Andreas Neustifter andreas.neustifter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 20:45:50 BST 2011

Hi Risto!

On 9 June 2011 20:52, Risto H. Kurppa <risto at kurppa.fi> wrote:

> I run KPA-GIT, latest commit:
> commit 0fd9febaf1246d338b0939b79c936deadeaa48d6
> Author: Jesper K. Pedersen <blackie at kde.org>
> Date:   Sat May 28 17:21:01 2011 +0200
>
> When I start KPA, it starts a heavy disk usage. When the UI is finally
> loaded & shown, the thumbnail bar is already somewhere in 2% of
> generating thumbnails.

I have almost 30000 photos so that bar does not move from 0% for some
minutes after the start of KPA. But I guess its true that the
thumbnailing starts right after startup.

> (and btw there isn't an option to disable automatic thumbnail generation)

Maybe such an option makes sense but how does on determine when to
start creating them? Maybe its not desirable that all the thumbnails
are generated on the fly because that would slow KPA down during
usage.

Besides that with the new changes by Jesper the rebuilding should
happen less often.

Andi