[KPhotoAlbum] Starting to generate thumbnails before UI has been loaded

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Fri Jun 10 08:23:55 BST 2011

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Andreas Neustifter
<andreas.neustifter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Risto!
>> When I start KPA, it starts a heavy disk usage. When the UI is finally
>> loaded & shown, the thumbnail bar is already somewhere in 2% of
>> generating thumbnails.
>
> I have almost 30000 photos so that bar does not move from 0% for some
> minutes after the start of KPA. But I guess its true that the
> thumbnailing starts right after startup.

I have 50 000+ images.

Do you have existing thumbnails ie. is there a need to recreate them?

I run on Core2Duo ~2.6GHz, 2GB of RAM

>> (and btw there isn't an option to disable automatic thumbnail generation)
>
> Maybe such an option makes sense but how does on determine when to
> start creating them? Maybe its not desirable that all the thumbnails
> are generated on the fly because that would slow KPA down during
> usage.

I like the idea of generating thumbs in the background, but it
shouldn't disturb normal usage
- the UI should load first before starting to generate thumbs
- thumbnail generation should have lower priority than the rest of processes.

After the thumbs have been generated it's great to browse photos, but
trying to do normal stuff on computer while thumbnail generation is
running is a pain. So I either leave it running when I'm not using the
computer or I stop the generation.