[KPhotoAlbum] Importing Pictures from Camera

Andreas Neustifter andreas.neustifter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 07:10:41 GMT 2010

Hi!

On 9 November 2010 03:00, jedd <jedd at progsoc.org> wrote:

>  I think most people have their own (fairly customised :) work flow,
>  involving a small stack of bespoke scripts and existing graphics
>  applications.

Thats mine to but scripts only get you sofar without having some
interactivity so I figured a flexible and customisable importer would
be great.
(Most management software has its own importer that is tied to the
software and database so thats quite useless for the general case.)

>  My own, FWIW, involves dumping a memory card contents into a working
>  directory, running geeqie (try as I might, I just can't enjoy gwenview
>  as much) to a) fix up orientation, b) cull out unwanted images.  Then
>  I run a simple script over the set that uses jpegexiforient and some
>  (sadly) non-free exifutils to set orientation, and each file's mtime
>  to match its exif datetime.  I then sort (using two konquerors - as
>  I typically don't have much of a backlog) stuff into date-based dirs.
>  Then I'll do any gimp work (rare) or hugin stuff for panoramas (far
>  more common).  I have a small script that replicates exif data and
>  advances the time by a few seconds, that I run over panos - just so
>  that they appear in the KPA thumbnail view immediately after the
>  last of the source files for the pano.  At this point I'll crank up
>  KPA and start the process of tagging.

Okay, thats really fairly involved, but I will later take some time to
think of all those tasks and how to incooperate them into the tool. No
guarantees tough...

>  My granularity is down to the second - primarily to ensure sorting
>  makes sense, but also as I'll frequently have images from two
>  cameras for the same outing.  If the clock's drifted substantially
>  I'll also do some exifdate shifts to try to align them again.

The granularity for my script is as exact as the underlyings
filesystem, but I guess I have to switch to EXIF-dates, those are way
more accurate usually. Aligning the dates of several cameras is out of
the reach of this tool I guess...

> I shoot
>  almost entirely in JPG, with RAW's kept outside of the KPA tree
>  (though I am aware that support for RAWs is very good these days).
>  Part of this is just historical practice, but also because I sync my
>  photo collection two my SO's laptop, my laptop, and also to a
>  server on the other side of the planet - raws aren't needed and/or
>  transferable / storable on those other machines.

RAW support is up to par with JPEG support now, so I want to support
both formats.

>  I have been wondering about a better way of sorting files into
>  their right (iso-8601 based) directory - plus I've been meaning to
>  learn python for about two years too (so I can probably work out
>  how to set a day to start at 00:00:00 rather than 6am ;)

The reason for this border was that most events that start in the
evening reach into the next day timewise and should not end in
separate folders.

Thanks for your feedback, I have create a discussion group at
photoimport-devel at googlegroups.com
to host further discussion.
(I'm using Google because by now I can't stand sourcerforge and github
does not provide a mailing list feature.)

Andi