[KPhotoAlbum] Importing Pictures from Camera

Andreas Neustifter andreas.neustifter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 06:57:27 GMT 2010

Hi All!

On 9 November 2010 02:45, Robert Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 23:39:40 +0100, Andreas Neustifter wrote:
>>
>> One area where KPhotoAlbum lacks a bit of functionality is the
>> importing of images into the KPA tree. I do not think that this import
>> step should be incooperated into KPA (as well as the image editing is
>> not part of KPA). This adheres to the Unix philosophy, especially the
>> "Make each program do one thing well." [1]
>
> The question here is what is the boundary of the "one thing" here.  I
> think a good argument could be made that importing isn't a
> particularly creative operation.
>
> An alternative might be to allow you to specify an optional importer
> that's run whenever KPA looks for new images.

Thats what I'm aiming for. The boundary between any tool that puts
pictures into the KPA folder and KPA itself are clearly defined. Same
goes  for e.g. the editing tools (like Gimp et.al.) that will never be
(and should not) be part of KPA. Because then everyone has the freedom
to use whatever they want for different parts of the process.

>> Nevertheless there is no proper standalone image importer, so I wrote
>> one, I'm shamelessly abusing this mailing list to publish it and ask
>> for feedback: https://github.com/astifter/PhotoImport
>>
>> What I'm especially interesseted in is:
>> How do you import your photos, how do you sort them? Whats the time
>> granularity of your sorting? And do you shoot JPEG or RAW?
>> (Currently the tool supports importing the photos of each day from a
>> folder into a separate folder named YYYYMMDD_<custom> where the day
>> starts a 6:00 AM and lasts 24 hours.)
>
> I simply use the same directory structure as the camera uses; I
> keyword/location them with KPA and otherwise don't much worry about
> it.  The kicker is that there are multiple cameras involved, so my
> script has to look at each card to figure out exactly what directory
> root is needed.

That would not be too hard, an option for listing all images on a card
(folder + subfolders) is only marginally harder.

Thanks for your feedback, I have create a discussion group at
photoimport-devel at googlegroups.com
to host further discussion.
(I'm using Google because by now I can't stand sourcerforge and github
does not provide a mailing list feature.)

Andi