[KPhotoAlbum] Importing Pictures from Camera

Robert Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 9 01:45:28 GMT 2010

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 23:39:40 +0100, Andreas Neustifter wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> One area where KPhotoAlbum lacks a bit of functionality is the
> importing of images into the KPA tree. I do not think that this import
> step should be incooperated into KPA (as well as the image editing is
> not part of KPA). This adheres to the Unix philosophy, especially the
> "Make each program do one thing well." [1]

The question here is what is the boundary of the "one thing" here.  I
think a good argument could be made that importing isn't a
particularly creative operation.

An alternative might be to allow you to specify an optional importer
that's run whenever KPA looks for new images.

> Nevertheless there is no proper standalone image importer, so I wrote
> one, I'm shamelessly abusing this mailing list to publish it and ask
> for feedback: https://github.com/astifter/PhotoImport
>
> What I'm especially interesseted in is:
> How do you import your photos, how do you sort them? Whats the time
> granularity of your sorting? And do you shoot JPEG or RAW?
> (Currently the tool supports importing the photos of each day from a
> folder into a separate folder named YYYYMMDD_<custom> where the day
> starts a 6:00 AM and lasts 24 hours.)

I simply use the same directory structure as the camera uses; I
keyword/location them with KPA and otherwise don't much worry about
it.  The kicker is that there are multiple cameras involved, so my
script has to look at each card to figure out exactly what directory
root is needed.