[KPhotoAlbum] Progres on thumbnail loading

Yannick Patois patois at altespace.org
Thu Aug 19 09:04:20 BST 2010

Le 19.08.2010 09:30, Jesper K. Pedersen a écrit :
> I have 25 Gb of images, which resulted in 1.8 Gb of thumbnails.
> Try nuking all of ~/.thumbnails (or at least only count that which is in
> ~/.thumbnails/kphotoalbum)

This is 7.2% additional space for thumbnails.

> | | If is indeed blazingly fast with the slight downside that for my 100GB
> | | image collection there is now a 14GB thumbnail folder... That's a little
> | | hefty, is there a away to reduce the size?

And that is 14%.

It's "only" twice as much, so it's not that "huge" compared to what you got.

I would say that as a user I wouldn't like this service to take more
than a few % (less than 5 to the most) of the image size.

I just did:
convert -size 256x256 img_0685.jpg -resize 256x256 -quality 20
img_0685-thumb.jpg

And went from 4752521 bytes to 23100 bytes (which is less than 0.5% of
the original size; thumbnail still being usable even if not perfect
looking).

But I'm afraid that jpeg conversion is way too costly, is it?
Is there anything in between? After all, mpeg movies can be decoded in
full HD at least at 25 image/s... Could your big file be an mpeg movie
each frame being an image? (Likely it wouldn't work, because with
movies, the next image is very close to the previous one).

In any case, thanks for your work!

	Yannick

--
 _/ Yannick Patois _________________ Address (home) ___________________
| irc(undernet): Garp on #france25+ | 4, rue du Scharrach              |