[KPhotoAlbum] image persistency x checksums

Tim McCormack basalganglia at brainonfire.net
Sat Jun 20 17:19:36 BST 2009

Martin Jabůrek wrote:
> In my case I did 2 things: renamed file (changed to lowercase) and clear
> the exif tag+rotate.

And that is the problem. KPA tracks files by two identifiers: Their filepath,
and their checksum (MD5). If you only modify one of those between KPA sessions,
KPA will resolve the discrepancy by updating its database. However, if you
modify *both*, KPA has no way of identifying the file.

Note that KPA has to be *explicitly* told to recalculate the checksum of a file,
even if it was a KIPI plugin that modified it.

One might suggest various enhancements, of course:
* Recalc checksum when plugin modifies file
* When a file disappears and displays as "not on disk", add a context menu
option to allow "moving" the image's tags to another file that KPA thinks is new

In any case, for now you should only modify either the filename *or* the file
data between any two KPA sessions, and always ask KPA to recalc the checksum on
the file after you modify it.

  - Tim McCormack

P.S. Working from version 3.1.1