[KPhotoAlbum] GPS support in KPhotoAlbum

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Wed Jul 22 11:30:16 BST 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Jesper K. Pedersen<blackie at kdab.com> wrote:
> | a) see on the (openstreetmap) map where the photo has been taken
> What does openstreetmap offer me over say google maps?

OSM you can use ~ any way you want, Google limits a lot.
OSM has more data, for example trails: google know nothing about bike
routes in cities. (see [1] and [2])
OSM is localized, Google for example uses only Swedish language in the
map of Finland.
OSM can be edited and extended, Google not.

> I tried it for the city I live in, and there was no data at all.

OTOH there are cities that are unknown to Google, see [3]. Impossible
to add yourself, at least you can work on OSM to get the streets
there, with google all you can do is wait..

> Is this about open vs. non openness, or are the other reasons?

both.

I guess the best option would be to have the possibility to choose
between OSM and Google to get the best coverage AFAIK this shouldn't
be a problem (the only limiting factor might be google licences..)

-> Please support both.

[1] http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=googlemap&mt1=mapnik&lon=24.9235&lat=60.18403&zoom=17
[2] http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=googlemap&mt1=mapnik&lon=24.9298&lat=60.18789&zoom=16
[3] http://tools.geofabrik.de/mc/?mt0=googlemap&mt1=mapnik&lon=21.14525&lat=42.65391&zoom=12