[KPhotoAlbum] GPS support in KPhotoAlbum

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Wed Jul 22 11:12:03 BST 2009

Jesper, you're amazing and the speed of development now is ~decent :)
(no, really, it's amazing!!)

My GPS need I could come up with:
- I record a track with my GPS (=Openmoko Freerunner) and get a GPX
file. Then I have a stack of photos. I'd want to easily be able to add
the GPS location to each photo (=EXIF, I think). There are some tools
that can do it, I've never though tried it. I wouldn't care if KPA
could do it for me, but I also accept that some external app does it.
One of the difficulties there is the sync: the camera clock is never
exactly on time with the GPS -> I usually take a photo of the GPS
device showing the exact time so this way I'm able to compare the GPS
and EXIF times and find out the offset.

- but after this, when I have apps with locations encoded, I'd
appreciate the possibility to
a) see on the (openstreetmap) map where the photo has been taken
b) use map to select an area and see all photos taken on that area
c) use map to see all the places where there has been photos taken.

OTOH I like the idea of adding GPS location to tags (especially
'places' tags :) and this way have a georeference in about all of my
photos, also those that don't have the GPS EXIF info.

Jesper, you're the man :)