[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbumKPA import/export, first experiences

Wes Hardaker wjhns25 at hardakers.net
Wed Jan 7 05:00:27 GMT 2009

>> I too keep a directory-based organized system that *must* be kept that
>> way because of other apps needing the by-directory sorting method.

RHK> I'd say most of us do? Anyone who's not doing it?

Well, I think many people use kphotoalbum for most of their hierarchy as
using tags/categories *is* much more scalable.  That being said, some of
us need a file based structure more too because we often need to access
things through other paths.

>> What I've done in the past is write a script (to show how old it is,
>> it's called "kimdbmerge" because it was originally written for kimdaba,
>> the previous name for kphotoalbum) to take two index.xml files and merge
>> them together.  This way I could do exactly what you're describing:

RHK> Looks good! Please release the updated version with a little
RHK> howto/examples how to use it when you get it done!

Here's components of what I've completed so far and have planned for the
future:

  http://www.hardakers.net/kphotoalbum/

RHK> I agree! Import/export should be as easy as possible.

Then you may wish to try my kphotomerge utility.  It does functionally
what you want and is very fast and easy.  It saves backup files so I
think it's fairly safe.  But you've been warned: it's recently rewritten
and less tested than my last copy.

RHK> And as far as I know, there's a large rewrite available in the SVN
RHK> repo, the KDE4 version has changed a lot but it's not yet even in the
RHK> prerelease state. But I'd suggest you also eventually have a look at
RHK> the code there. But I'd guess patches are welcome!

The patches I have are already based on SVN.  I have a full-screen
category assignment patch also discussed on the above page.  Note that
the warning at the top about this idea has been discussed before and
rejected.  I'd love it if Jesper and the developers would include it,
but Jesper (I think) at least has said in the past that it goes against
what the categories were supposed to be used like.  You've been warned
again :-)