[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbumKPA import/export, first experiences

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Mon Jan 5 19:01:09 GMT 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Wes Hardaker <wjhns25 at hardakers.net> wrote:
> I too keep a directory-based organized system that *must* be kept that
> way because of other apps needing the by-directory sorting method.

I'd say most of us do? Anyone who's not doing it?

> What I've done in the past is write a script (to show how old it is,
> it's called "kimdbmerge" because it was originally written for kimdaba,
> the previous name for kphotoalbum) to take two index.xml files and merge
> them together.  This way I could do exactly what you're describing:

Looks good! Please release the updated version with a little
howto/examples how to use it when you get it done!

> Ideally, what I think *should* happen is that if kphotoalbum does it's
> start up scan on say "/img" and notices new images in
> "/img/trips/2008-01-10-party-hardy" and finds a
> "/img/trips/2008-01-10-party-hardy/index.xml" file it'll auto-recognize
> it and ask if you want to merge it in.  *this* I think is the best way
> forward for everyone

I agree! Import/export should be as easy as possible.
Export should create a new index.xml ( I guess the .kim is more or
less something like this) that you copy to somewhere with the images
(how would this work for 20 folders & subfolders of images?) and then
the rescan would find it. OK, this would not use the KPA GUI for
import/export and you'd have to do some stuff manually but.. it'd work
a lot smoother, I guess.

> and I've been thinking about hacking the code to
> make this happen (but I suspect I'd need to learn a lot about the
> kphotoalbum architecture which I don't know right now).

And as far as I know, there's a large rewrite available in the SVN
repo, the KDE4 version has changed a lot but it's not yet even in the
prerelease state. But I'd suggest you also eventually have a look at
the code there. But I'd guess patches are welcome!

> The import/export features right now are completely unusable for the way
> I need to store my pictures for the reasons you've pointed out.  Most
> importantly, the import/export routines don't keep track of
> subdirectories properly...  It's a non-starter for me unfortunately.

Same here.

It's nice to hear that some other share the same opinions. How about
filing a bug about this to remind the developers (includes you, Wes :)
to do something about it. How is it handled in other programs, or is
it?