[KPhotoAlbum] KPhotoAlbum and digiKam comparisons

Murray Strome wmstrome at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 21:22:19 BST 2008

> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 17:04:43 +0200
> From: Michael J Gruber
> > The bad:
> > It is not terribly stable.
>
> Can you be more specific here? I don't recall stability
> problems with
> the release build.

As I said below, it crashes whenever I try to invoke GIMP. This happens all the time. I think this is fixed in the version that comes with the repositories for Kubuntu 8.04 KDE3, but I am away from home, using my laptop with persistent Kubuntu 7.10 which has an earlier version

> > It does NOT recognize my RAW photos (Pentax .pef)
>
> KP 3.1 uses a new library for RAWs, so chances are your
> RAWs are supported.

I am not sure what version is in the repositories for 8.04 KDE 3, but I know that it does not recognize .pef. If I remember correctly, the  batch RAW conversion with KPhotoAlbum uses dcraw. I much prefer UFRaw.

> > There is no inherent image correction
>
> There are a few KIPI plugins. What functionality are you
> missing?

I think that I could develop a good reliable workflow without built in image correction. In that case, the only thing that I can think of that is missing is the recognition of my RAW .pef images, and the ability to invoke the GIMP with UFRaw to do any manipulation.

If the RAW problem were fixed, I think I would be happy to do the following:
Import with picasa2 and do the easy corrections.
Do more involved corrections with the GIMP
Catalogue and organize with KPHotoAlbum

> Personally, I prefer KP focussing on image organisation,
> while leaving
> other stuff to ther programmes.

I am leaning in this direction myself.  For fast, easy corrections, picasa2 cannot be beaten. For more involved and more powerful, I use the GIMP, which I really like.  I have only played a bit with digiKam, but the corrections built in are very nice.
> > In my version, invoking an external program (such as
> GIMP) to do the
> > correction causes KPhotoAlbum to crash.
>
> I don't recall happening this to me either. Does this
> happen all the
> time for you?
Yes, all the time.