[KPhotoAlbum] suggestions for handling incorrect camera time and time settings?

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Sun Jan 13 23:28:14 GMT 2008

g b wrote:
> My problem with it is that once a corrected time is put in index.xml
> kphotoalbum does
> not know it is dealing with a corrected timestamp. If I revisit the
> ¨adjust time" plugin, the relative time adjustment is going to be
> against the time stored in index.xml, not the exif one.

That's a feature. In KPA, we deal primarily with out database. It is
initialized from the information embedded in files and it can be synced
back, but information in images aren't relevant for normal operation.

> Also, if I ask kphotoalbum to read exif information from files it will
> rewrite the  timestamp from the exif tag and I will lose the
> correction.

Then you have to either select not to overwrite your dates (it's a
checkbox in that "re-read exif" dialog) or write your dates back to
EXIF. Frankly, I don't see a point in re-reading values that you know
are bad.

> So, although that plugin certainly addresses my issue to a certain
> extent, I think it could be safer and more maintainable from the
> database point of view to offer at least the
> option of storing the offset rather than the final corrected date as a
> property of the file.

I'm not sure what problem are you trying to solve here, sorry. I thought
you just want to adjust date *once* while keeping your physical files
untouched, but it seems I'm missing your point.

Yes, if there was a field like "offset from original time", you would be
able to easily see "ah, embedded timestamp is wrong", but why would you
want that?

(Please note that kphotoalbum mailing list don't use reply-to munging,
so make sure you don't reply in private mail only.)

Cheers,
-jkt

--
cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth