[KPhotoAlbum] Pan operation.

Mark Eichin eichin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 19:26:39 BST 2007

On 9/14/07, Jan Kundrát <jkt at gentoo.org> wrote:
> I don't know about any service that would return me geographic
> coordinates when given arguments "Česká republika", "Českosaské Švýcarsko".

Actually, my current startup (metacarta.com) does *exactly* that.
(It's an expensive product but there are some demo services on our
"labs" site...)

> Although simply adding, for example, a button "show this on map" to the
> infobox would be trivial, I'm not sure what would users do with such a
> feature. If it was, on the other hand, implemented with real geographic
> coordinates, one could run queries like "show me pictures taken near
> here"...

Flickr has a couple of geo locating paths:
  * you took the picture with a cellphone, and they get nearby coords
from the cell tower ids, and automatically put it on the map
  * you take one (or a batch) of pictures in "organizer"/"map" and
drag-and-drop them to specific locations (with your other pictures
showing, making it easy to say "put it in the same place as that one")

Then for display, you can either start from a picture and "show this
on a map" or start from a map and "show my pictures" or "show these
tags".

I'm not too concerned with the initial tagging simply because I
already do that on flickr :-)  Perhaps I should start by stuffing the
lat/long tags into the kimdaba XML and demoing what it would look like
with a simple openlayers renderer.

--
_Mark_ <eichin at thok.org> <eichin at gmail.com>