[KPhotoAlbum] [KPhotoAlbum 3.1.0-rc1 - IPTC-export / JAlbum

Jan Kundrát jkt at gentoo.org
Fri Oct 5 21:32:11 BST 2007

Martin Jost wrote:
> kphotoalbum: IPTC field Iptc.Application2.City is not repeatable

exiv2 correctly refuses to add second instance of the "city" IPTC tag.
Just set "Places" synchronization in KPA to merge those values into one
field. This is hard to avoid...

> IMG_0260.JPG: java.lang.ClassCastException: [I
> ------------------------------
> Sorry, the error messages are "complete" as far as I could get. I found
> no trick to make the cut off part to the right visible.

You could get about 10 more characters by renaming file to "a" or a.jpg :)

> Warning: IFD0 tag 0x010e has invalid Exif type 11; using 7 (undefined).

Interesting. This means that exiv2 wrote the Exif.Image.ImageDescription
in some kind of unsupported format. I'm guessing here, but if the number
corresponds to the TypeId enum that is defined at libexiv2's
src/types.hpp, the library doesn't like "string" as ImageDescription and
expects "asciiString". Indeed, according to ImageDescription's
specification, it is expected to be plain ASCII.

We shouldn't let user write invalid metadata, but I somehow think that
libexiv2 shouldn't let us do it, either. It should be its job to keep
track of what data types are acceptable in various fields...

Unless I'm mistaken, I use the operator=(std::string) of Exifdatum class
which in turn calls setValue(std::string). It is its fault that it
creates "string" instead of "asciiString", IMHO. Reported [1].

> Hint:
> All photos, which Jalbum doesn't like, give this error message. All
> photos which JAlbum likes, don't show this message.
> I've also attached a photo (IMG_0217.JPG) which doesn't show this message.

Was it touched by the IPTC export?

> I will also report this problem to the JAlbum developers.
> I will keep you informed of the outcome.

Great. Feel free to CC me, should they have any questions/comments on
KPA's side of things. Interoperability is what we want here.

Cheers,
-jkt

[1] http://dev.robotbattle.com/bugs/view.php?id=530

--