[KPhotoAlbum] read-only web interface

Risto H. Kurppa risto at kurppa.fi
Mon Mar 26 17:43:20 BST 2007

> > I myself would propably prevent search engines
> > spidering my page (even .htaccess protection..?) but I think it's a
> > good idea to have the possibility to allow SE:s to index the albums.
>
> Yup, it will work like "export only images having 'web' in 'keywords'".

Great!

> >> b) What is the best way to express stuff like "show me all pics from
> >> 2001-2004 where I can see Peter with either Alice or Bob, taken by Adam"
> >> in URLs?
> >
> > I'd go for parameters, like
> > index.php?start_year=2001&end_year=2004&people=peter,(alice,bob)&photographer=adam
> >
> > This would be easy to parse (I hope you're doing this on PHP..?) but
> > also easy to read and even change and create searches manually by just
> > editing the URL
> > The people=peter,(alice,bob) can be a bit more difficult, but might work..
> >
> How would you handle query "show me either stuff taken by Peter where
> James is or by Adam withJimmy"? I'm afraid that I can't really use a
> "tree-adressing" (like classical URL) for search criteria and will have
> to stick with "/query/(Adam in Photographer & Jimmy in People)|(James in
> People & Peter in Photographer)".

I too think that a tree like URL /people/date/keywords won't work and
using simple parameters like
people=(jimmy|peter)/&james&photographer=adam|peter. But the example
you told, is difficult: at the moment you can't do it with KPA either,
AFAIK. This would require some kind of 'real string comparison' -
actually like you had it in your example. Though dropping 'in' and
spaces away would make it more usable - but you still have the problem
with local characters.. I'd need at least a and o with dots, but
people in Eastern Europe (you're from somewhere there, I suppose) or
Russia or Japan would need something more.. Gets difficult..

> > Maybe the most important thing for me in a web interface would be able
> > to easily manage images (as well as tags..) shown in the album.. I'd
> > like (to have a possibility for ) it use a copy of the actual database
> > (to use a 'real' server vs. my desktop computer) and if I want to
> > allow people to see only pictures from some parties, say, I want it to
> > hide all the other tags but also somehow make it easy to copy the
> > images to web, needed for the party gallery.
>
> Tag filtering (don't copy a "tag group" and/or some values) to the web
> should be pretty easy to implement, but I'm not sure if it has any real use.

I think it would make sense: think of someone with thousands of tagged
images: say 200 different people tags, want's to create a gallery of
his family: he still would have all 200 names in the list visible..?
Making a search would more than often give a 'no results'..

> > Hmm.. Would be nice to have the date optional - to allow the user to
> > modify the naming convetion of the folders (for example
> > domain.com/albums/grannys-90 etc.)
>
> Tell me how to store such information to the KPA database. My app won't
> use any other information source.

> Only way I can think about is another property ("category"/"tag
> group"/...) like "event"... in fact, it makes perfect sense to use that,
>  as you could use super-categories then for classifying events/albums
> like "hiking", "parties" etc.

.. I'm using an 'event' category.. And actually I'd hope your gallery
would be a 'generic solution' and make all categories available, that
users have created in their KPA, be it 'latin fauna & flora families'
or 'events' or 'car wheel sizes' :)

> > Extension to this is a printable PDF  :)
>
> If there's some Apache filter that can do XSL:FO and someone writes the
> stylesheet, it's possible.

Yep, there is:
http://xmlgraphics.apache.org/fop/

But the gallery first :)

> Please keep in mind that nothing is done now and the final result might
> look very different from what is described in this thread.

No worry!

rhk