[KPhotoAlbum] Select subcategories, annotating photographs

Shawn Willden shawn-kimdaba at willden.org
Wed Apr 18 16:24:49 BST 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 09:03, Angel Lopez wrote:
> Hello,

Hi, Angel,

> I have a question about working with supercategories. If I make a
> supercategory called "France" and two subcategories for it: "Paris"
> and "Grenoble", for example. I have seen that I can put a mark in
> "Paris" but "France" is not selected, while one should want to have
> both selected, I think.

No, you should just check the specific tag.  If you go back to the top level
in KPA and drill down into Locations, then France, you'll see that your
images from Grenoble and Paris are both there.

I guess it might be a nice feature if the supercategories were automatically
checked, perhaps with a grayed-out check to indicate that it's a "derived"
check.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?

> I have also more question on annotating: My photographs are in
> directories called "YYYY-MM-12_Description", which was useful for me
> in the past to keep things ordered. Do you recommend me, to use this
> description in any field when I annotate images? Where? Label
> perhaps...

If your camera puts EXIF information in the images, and most do, KPA should be
able to automatically extract the date and time information, so that part
shouldn't have to be entered.  As for the Description, I'd put that in the
Description field in KPA.  On the annotation dialog, it's the text box toward
the upper right hand corner of the screen (unless you've moved or closed it).

> I've noticed that One can search also by folder, but the text you type
> in must be exactly the beginning of the folder name, (which is not my
> case).

Really?  I can type any part of the folder name.  To be precise, from
the "Home" view, I click the "Folder" icon, then use the search entry bar at
the top.

What version of KPA do you have, by the way?

	Shawn.