[KPhotoAlbum] Cycles in member maps

Baptiste MATHUS ml at batmat.net
Tue Apr 10 18:09:08 BST 2007

Hi all,

(I will answer the thread about sharing kpa ownership soon. I've just
returned from a 10 days holiday yesterday).

As I think that's the code of my patch was the one that was committed to
prevent cycles, I come into the conversation.
See
http://mail.kdab.net/mailman/pipermail/kphotoalbum/2006-November/002571.html

But I know that my code does not handle all cases very well. I'm not even
sure that Jesper really used my code as it was (and it wouldn't matter :p).
I think it does only manage A to not contain A. But I don't think it handles
transitivity (not display A in the C list if C contains B that contains A).

so, to sum up :
* I completely agree about the fact that cycles should be impossible to set
in KPA (which is not at the moment).
* I'm pretty sure that my code does not handle every use cases well, so I
also agree that it needs to be improved :-).

Cheers,

-- Baptiste

2007/4/6, Jesper K. Pedersen <blackie at blackie.dk>:

> I'm all fine with that. If you read the TODO file, you will even see an
> ancient TODO saying make it impossible to introduce cycles.
>
> Cheers
> Jesper.
>
> On Wednesday 04 April 2007 15:02, Tuomas Suutari wrote:
> | Hello everyone.
> |
> | I've been thinking to deny cycles in KPhotoAlbum's member maps. (For
> | example tag A is member of B, B is member of C, and C is member A.)
> | (Actually I have a code for this already, but it's not committed yet.)
> |
> | Few reasons to remove cycles:
> | (1) They make some code more complicated, especially in SQL backend.
> | (2) They could confuse users.
> | (3) They make no sense... Or do they?
> |
> | Can you think any (even remotely) good reason to have cycles in member
> | maps or would anyone be happy if those weren't allowed?
> |

> | And by the way, this would also deny A being a member of A, just like in
> | this post:
> |
> http://mail.kdab.net/mailman/pipermail/kphotoalbum/2006-November/002571.htm

Baptiste <Batmat> MATHUS
BMathus at Batmat point net - http://batmat.net
---------
Si chacun de nous a une idée et que nous les partageons, nous
repartirons tous les deux avec deux idées... C'est ça le Libre.