[KPhotoAlbum] raw photos once again..

Robert L Krawitz rlk at alum.mit.edu
Fri Sep 15 12:21:57 BST 2006

   Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 10:12:41 +0300
   From: "Risto H. Kurppa" <risto at kurppa.fi>
   Cc: kphotoalbum at kdab.net

   On 9/1/06, Robert L Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
   >    Currently I am simply commenting out the "raf" line in
   >    src/rawimagedecoder.cpp (around line 73 in the version I've got)
   >    and using that.
   >
   > I was doing that for quite a while before I submitted the patch to
   > ignore RAW files.

   Robert: About the option 'don't read raw files if matching
   JPEG/TIFF exists': How does it work? I mean, does it compare the
   file name or does it have some other means to recognize the images
   (EXIF or something..?)

It compares the image pathname, including the directory.  The fact
that the file name wraps around is why this has to be done.

   I convert all my dscxxxx.nef images to dscxxxx.nef.jpg. Is this too
   much of a change for the option to recognize that it's the same
   image.  Or doesn't it recognize nef - files at all? Does the nef
   and jpeg - file have to be in the same folder? I have.

Yes, it is too much of a change.  The base name must be exactly the
same; only the extension can change (e. g. from .nef to .jpg).

   Hard to say what'd be the best way for it to work.. Does it make sense
   to require that the raw and jpeg version have to be in the same
   directory or would this allow the recognizing be a bit less accurate
   and use only the file name.

   The camera counter goes up to 9999 and starts again from zero -> along
   time this produces several images with the same name.. I've taken some
   27000 shots (shutter count) in less than two years. The filename
   camera counter goes up to 9999 and starts again. This means that I
   have some file name used three times.. As far as I understand, the
   MD5sum doesn't help here..

   So, how does it work, which RAW file formats it recognizes and how
   does it recognize jpeg/tiff and raw versions of an image? Is there an
   easy way to just ignore all .nef - files...?

You'll have to hack the source.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton