[KPhotoAlbum] Super-category management

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane+kimdaba at fastmail.fm
Tue Nov 21 10:36:52 GMT 2006

Baptiste MATHUS venit, vidit, dixit 2006-11-21 01:35:
> Hi all,
>
> It's been a long time I'm wondering why in KPA it's possible to do
> that, say a super-category A would be composed of B, C and... A.
>
> I don't think it's logical and I don't see a use case where it could
> be useful. So, I think that when selecting categories of a
> super-category, the super-category should not be present.
>
> I never programmed with Qt (cuf cuf, before tonight) but did some C++
> and a lot of C some years ago. So I just did a small patch to show
> it's easy to patch the code so as to proceed as I'm proposing. This
> patch also modifies the code to not act when clicking on the category
> that was already selected so its children were already selected too.

The reason for selecting the super-category automatically (as it used to
be) is that this allows searching and browsing by super-category.

There's yet another reason why one needs this: I don't want to introduce
a new sub-category/member for each location, say. I have some cities
which belong to a country super-category. But sometimes I want to tag
images only with the country. It's just like having mail folders which
can be folders (lists of messages) and directories at the same time.

So, please make sure that searching and browsing by super-category still
work and that it's still possible to select super-categories when no
sub-category is selected.

Cheers,
Michael